Monday, December 17, 2012

Music of 2012

In January I started talking to friends about music. Somehow of all the things my brain can retain music does not seem to stick as well as I'd like it to. This year I tried to change that, and with Pandora and Spotify it's been really great! Here are the 12 songs of 2012.

Fitz And the Dizzyspells, Andrew Bird, Noble Beast
Will told me about Andrew Bird in January.
Lava flows over crooks and craggy cliffs to the ocean
And explodes in a steam heat fevered cyclical motion

5 Years Time, Noah and the Whale, Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down
Eliot told me about Noah and the Whale in January. I tried to learn this song on the ukulele. I still might get it.
and she'll say,
oh yeah, well i feel pretty happy too.
and i'm always pretty happy when i'm just kicking back with you

Dog Days Are Over, Florence + The Machine, Lungs
Janell and I drove up to Ogden super late one February night for ACTF regionals and we screamed this song. Also, I Did It My Way by Sinatra
And I never wanted anything from you except everything you had
And what was left after that too

sad song, Christinia Perri, lovestrong
Along with more Florence I bought lovestrong for my ride home in March. It wasn't really a road trip album, but I like it.
So don't, don't let me go
Just let me know
That growing up goes slow

Primadonna, Marina and the Diamonds, Primadonna
I saw Marina and the Diamonds on The Graham Norton Show in May sometime. Jack let me know how great they are and what I'd been missing. This is when I started using Spotify.
Get what I want 'cause I ask for it
Not because I'm really that deserving of it
What Makes You Beautiful, One Direction, Up All Night
Christina and I played this song for hours while making apple pie for Richard with Tess.
Baby you light up my world like nobody else
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed

Hey Ho, The Lumineers, The Lumineers
This music video played at the gym and I really like these guys.
I belong with you, you belong with me
You're my sweetheart

Send Me No Flowers, Nellie Mckay, Normal As Blueberry Pie
Matt introduced me to a lot of new music. Normal As Blueberry Pie (previously blogged about), is a Doris Day tribute and I love it. I love love this song, such great sentiments.
Send me no flowers today
Instead of sending flowers come back to me
And hold me in your arms again

Some Nights, Fun., Some Nights
Everyone loves this song. My Fun. station on Pandora pretty much covers all the bases I currently am into.
But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure  what I stand for, oh

Home, Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros, Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
Found these guys from my Fun. station. This track in particular has a very Johnny Cash/June Carter sound to it and I love it. Again, Jack let me know how much I'd been missing.
I follow you into the park, thru the jungle thru the dark
Girl aint never loved on like you
Moasts and boats and Waterfall, Alleyways and payphone calls
I been everywhere with you
Laugh until we think we'll die, barefoot on a summer night
never could be sweeter than with you

King And Lionheart, Of Monsters And Men, My Head Is An Animal
Fun. station. Jack told me to look into them more. Spotify.
Taking over this town, they should worry. 
But these problems aside I think I taught you well.
That we won't run, and we won't run, and we won't run.

I Will Wait, Mumford And Sons, Babel
I listen to I Will Wait, and Babel over and over. I love Mumford and Sons. I love the instrumentation,  I love the poetry, I love the voice, I love the drive. Their new album is fabulous. Will and Eliot told me about Mumford and Sons in January, now they're my favorite favorite.
Now I'll be bold, as well as strong
And use my head, along side my heart
So tame my flesh and fix my eyes
a tethered mind freed from the lies

The above list was more or less "new" music in the sense that they're not oldies. Below are some songs I was introduced to from a bye-gone time. Some I was just reminded of, or really struck a chord this year.

What'll I Do? Irving Berlin
woof, this song. makes me so.sad. in a masochistic, must listen to over and over and cry kind of way.
What'll I do, when you are far away
And I'm so blue, what'll I do?
What'll I do when I am wondering 
Who is kissing you? what'll I do

If I Were A Carpenter, Johnny Cash and June Carter
I can't recall hearing this song before. It's wonderful and I love Johnny and June together.
I gave you my onliness
Give me your tomorrow

Cavelleria Rusticana: Intermezzo, Pietro Mascagni
Yes, this is in The Godfather or Part II or something, but I first heard it at an orchestra competition in high school. I wept and wept. I rediscovered it this year. Just watching the conductor of this link is phenomenal.

It's All Coming Back To Me Now, Celine Dion, Falling Into You
I added a Celine Dion station last year, but this year it's kind of annoyed me on shuffle, except for this song. Ug, I love this song. First CD I remember as a child.
There were moments of gold
And there were flashes of light
There were things I'd never do again
But then they'd always seemed right

The Talking Heads
I was introduced to Stop Making Sense about 5 or 6 years ago. Reminded how much I like The Talking Heads this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment