Thursday, March 14, 2013

NYC: What I Did

I started thinking about going to NYC last summer when I quickly realized a lot of people I care about a whole lot were moving there. I decided to go when I realized I was single, had never been, and had no reason not to go. It was originally going to be just for kicks and giggles, but life happens.

A couple of weeks ago I learned that my one and only pick for grad school was full for the upcoming school year. If you've been following my blog you might have gotten the vibe that things weren't going great in my life, this had something to do with it...So, I called USF, arranged for a 6 months contract instead of a 3 and thought about what to do with my life for another year after that. The answer? Move to NYC. I'm home in Nebraska to earn money, but (no offense to my family or the amazing people I know here) it's not making me happy, quite the opposite. At least in New York I'll be with my best friends and in the capital of the world where all of the theatre jobs are. So, this trip became a fact finding mission to figure out if I could/would want to live in NYC. Here is what I did...


Wednesday: I flew to NYC. After delays and cancellations in Chicago I switched airlines and avoided it all together. I got in on Wednesday night and took the M60 pretty much straight to bestie Sarah's apt in Upper Manhattan. She made me baked ziti which we ate while we relaxed and watched British quiz shows. It was so nice. We also ate many cookies which I brought with me from home. Eating sweets and watching internet shows is our default.

THURSDAY: Sarah and I took the train to the west side of Central Park and walked the rest of the way to The Met. The weather was terrible, but not as bad as it would be...
We spent the late morning/early afternoon in The Met. Of course we went through the Egyptians exhibit. Sarah knows what I like. Neither of us had been before, so we were pretty impressed with the amount of Egyptian stuff they had. The curation was however lacking (a theme of the day at The Met).
We went through the Impressionism, Fashion and Modernity exhibit that had Impressionist paintings along with appropriate fashions, which was fantastic. Ug, I died. It was very well done. There was a whole room of Worth gowns, which I recognized right way. Worth, duh. Seeing the paintings and dresses I've researched for years was phenomenal.
We also went through the historic rooms, bc that's Sarah's bag. The Met is huge, so we kind of called it after those things. There's no way to see it all, and with the curation being so cray cray we didn't try. ***Shout out to the person that returned Sarah's scarf to the lost and found!
After The Met we met friend Jack (he asked why his title is "friend"...bc he is?) and I introduced Jack and Sarah, and that was awesome. We had bagels for lunch then went to the MoMA, which was A HIGHTLIGHT. It was much better organized than The Met and ug, it was just great. Having my besties in this museum together was just so so so great. Also, Starry Night is at The MoMA! WHAT?! How did I not know that?! I cried. I looked at it and got close (despite everyone being like 8 ft away taking pictures...) and then went around and looked at some Picassos etc, and then turned around to look at it again and all of a sudden I was all choked up and crying. It was ridiculous. I've always loved Van Gogh, and have a print of Starry Night from childhood, and after the Doctor Who episode with Van Gogh it was all just a bit much, I cried.
After The MoMA we bid Jack adieu and Sarah and I kind of walked around and went to some stores and eventually got dinner at a Jamaican place. We turned in pretty early because the weather was wet and I was so tired and couldn't see anything of the city. I'm sure we watched more BBC quiz shows when we got back.

FRIDAY: The weather was TERRIBLE. I met Matt early for breakfast before he caught a train out of the city and it was snowing. Like accumulated snow. Everywhere. We caught up at a diner and I wish I was more of a breakfast person...
Ug, the weather was SO BAD. I went back home and Sarah and I just chilled in her super warm apartment. I had an appointment at NYU for a tour of their grad department which I went to at 3. There were pros and cons to their program, but it was nice to talk shop/ab more education. After NYU I wandered around Washington Square then headed over to Lincoln Center to go to the 6pm session at the Manhattan Temple with my friend Hannah. Luckily I left super early because I ended up underground for about 45 minutes because I missed a transfer or something...still not sure how it happened. I'm really good with public transport.
The Temple with Hannah and her husband was lovely. Mormons are amazing at real estate. The Temple's right off the 66th Street/Lincoln Center stop and across the street from Lincoln Center, the NYC Phil and all of the other things. Inside was beautiful and so nice and peaceful (as it always is), especially compared to the city. After our session Hannah, her husband, and I went to dinner and caught up and talked about the old days at BYU, and The Bubble, and all of the things. It was SO nice to see Hannah! They drove me home and I'm sure Sarah and I watched BBC quiz shows after.


SATURDAY: The weather was BEAUTIFUL! Jack and I met for brunch and I had amazing granola and berries. We caught up on all of the things then went shopping in the East Village (other entry to come). We mostly thrifted and I got super cute stuff. At one place someone started pulling clothes for me. It's hard to be so beautiful #sorrynotsorry. We got delicious pizza and all of the things and really it was just an entire day of shopping. Ug, so good. I wore my new dress....but....didn't take any pictures because...I just didn't. You shouldn't trust me when I promise you things...
We had dinner at an Indian/Bangladesh restaurant where the ceiling was strewn with a million holiday lights and the walls were covered with every holiday thing. It was fantastic, and so small. Anyone that likes personal space would HATE it. I liked it a lot. After dinner Jack and I kept ourselves busy until Sarah was done with a school thing, then I ran into my friend Nakeisha on the 1! SO random! Such a big city and I ran into lovely lovely beautiful Nakeisha! Saturday night Sarah and I watched some BBC stuff but I think we fell asleep...

SUNDAY: Yes, I am good at public transport, but I'm not good at double checking addresses, which is why I made it to 128th and Lexington with no problem, when the Harlem church building is on 128th and Lennox...No matter. I strutted Harlem in my super cute heals and made it in time to take the Sacrament. After the intermediate hymn I looked up and THERE WAS MY FRIEND CARTER! I knew he was in the area looking at grad schools, but was so thrilled he was in church with me. I sat with him in Sunday School and met his friends. After SS I met a girl that's friends with a boy I worked with this summer (seen above in a super cute sweater, what are the chances?), and during Relief Society I ran into and sat with wonderful Caitlin who went to BYU and is actually friends with Matt, so it's all very connected and strange and wonderful. Other than that of course there were people in the ward from BYU. I loved the ward.
Sunday after church Sarah and I got bagels and sat in Morningside Park. After that we got cookies and sat in Riverside Park. After that I got on a bus and went to Pennsylvania, State College to be specific. There I was picked up by a friend of a friend whom I stayed with for the night.

MONDAY: I visited Penn State, and LOVED IT! I met Jack's friend Lindsey whom I'd been talking with on the email. I sat in on their scenic and costume design class, toured their facilities, got a look at their stock and historical collection, had some creamery ice cream (Where Ben and Jerry studied!) and went to dinner with one of their new grad students and the head of the department. Also while I was there I played phone tag with some local members and randomly ran into one of them! The Mormon network never ceases to amaze me! I really liked PSU and they seemed to like me. Such a good first date. Monday night I got back on the bus and went back to NYC. I got in at 2 in the morning! Woof! Worth it though.

Quick sidebar: I found these amazing paintings of famous people. I was hoping to find a third as two of anything, even creepy paintings of celebrities, isn't enough.


TUESDAY: Tuesday was also kind of up in the air. Since Sarah had school all day and we didn't get a chance to on Saturday Jack and I went fabric shopping in the fashion district. Yes, we did go to Mood. I got belt materials for my Opening Night Dress. At other stores I got more sequins and beads for the top. Yes, there was glorious fabric everywhere, but I was shopping for one project which kept me away from buying things I wouldn't need. The weather was TERRIBLE again. Very rainy and awful. Jack and I eventually just sat and ate macarons in a french bakery. They were incredible. Jack knows macarons...After some more window shopping Jack and I walked to Time Square where I met up with Matt for dinner. First we went to a comic book store where they had Doctor Who stuff, which was neat, and a dramatic book store, where they had some costume books I really want. I feel like all of the places I went in NYC had books I want...Matt and I had a nice dinner and caught up on all of the things, then I went home and packed. EXHAUSTED! When Sarah got home from her school things we watched more BBC quiz shows.

WEDNESDAY: I went home. Oh, and there was a new Pope.

So there it is! The entire time I was in NYC I felt comfortable and at ease. I never once felt overwhelmed or like I was in a movie. I was simply in New York City, living and breathing and being. I checked in with myself often to see if I was ok with what was happening, and with the idea of living there, and I always got the green light. So, barring anything catastrophic or supernatural (including the spiritual, which is more likely), I'M MOVING TO NEW YORK CITY IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. What kind of job will you get there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for you! I look forward to hearing about your adventures come November.

    I could tell just by the tone of this post compared with your others that you really enjoyed your time in NYC. It's funny how small the LDS world is. It seems like every conversation with a new face in any ward goes as follows:

    Local Member: Are you new here or just visiting?
    Visiting Member: (answer)
    LM: Oh, that's nice. Where are you from?
    VM: (often a list of places, as we are a transient people)
    LM: Oh, really? Do you know so-and-so?
    VM: (if "yes," there are updates)
    (if "no," the conversation continues with other names or moves on to more about why they're visiting)

    ReplyDelete