Sunday, March 3, 2013

British TV Recommendation: The Big Fat Quiz

I was going to do an entry on all the wonderful British game and chat shows, but that's a lot and I don't have it in me, so I'll do one at a time as part of a "British TV Recommendations" series. I've already told you to watch QI and The Graham Norton Show, so do it!

The BBC loves to showcase funny people. I can't really think of an equivalent type of show here in the US (but now that Who's Line is coming back (which was originally British...)) . They have numerous and sundry programmes where their wittiest and driest comedians answer informative questions for hours. It's great. 

Today I recommend The Big Fat Quiz of the Year. You may guess that it's annual, and you'd be right! (The British are also big on Christmas/end of the year specials). It's been around since 2004 and has  three other specials focusing on the 80s, 90s, and 00s.
2012: These two ordered a pizza, no joke. 

Hosted by Jimmy Carr, the show is essentially a 90 minute pub quiz with three teams of two. I've watched three, or four? so far and it's just a riot. David Mitchell, Jonathan Ross, David Walliams, Noel Fielding, Jamie Oliver, Alan Carr, and Richard Ayoade among many other tried and true TV comedians participate. It's rather a boys' club (as they all are) but includes one girl a show. The whole thing is usually just mayhem. It professes to be a family show, but there can be quite a bit of language and adult subject matter discussed. Read this article if you want more info ab its content. 

Rikki Sixx has the episodes on YouTube. 
Start here:


1 comment:

  1. I may have cried through my first couple hours of work listening to this. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete