Monday, March 25, 2013

Call the Midwife

I watched this whole series for you yesterday!

Call the Midwife is a BBC drama that premiered in 2012 and was overshadowed by Downton. I've known about it for as long as it's been out, but was one that was focused on Downton. Now I've got some time off of Downton, with some hard feelings, so I've given Call the Midwife a go.

Tellyspotting article here. 

It's about nuns delivering babies in London's East End in the late 1950s. I can see how it might not attract as many viewers as Downton as I feel it's a show women would like more. I'd be interested to know of any men's opinions on it versus Downton. There are many many many birth scenes that while not full on, can get pretty graphic. As would be expected many possible pregnancy complications are tackled and either overcome....or not. I cried every episode. It's a beautiful show with likable characters, touching plots and high production value.

Venessa Redgrave does the voice over for the main character Jenny, as she looks back on her life. Her commentary provides the insight and "moral" of each episode. The season starts with her saying that all babies are born out of love or lust and that she was to learn of the passions and loves that brings life into the world. The rest of the season follows this theme as different kinds of love are examined. It's a great study on love (which of course has been popping up in my life so much recently...)

Series 1 is on Netflix, six episodes of 52 minutes. I think it's also available on PBS's website. Series 2 premieres on PBS this Sunday. It's not a Masterpiece series oddly enough...It's on after Doc Martin but before Masterpiece.

Mr. Selfridge is premiering on Masterpiece this week too...and I'm not so keen on watching it. I'm not sure why, but we'll see. I never got into Upstairs Downstairs either...things I'm sure I'll amend someday like I have with Call the Midwife.

Also, the actress that plays Nurse Jenny Lee looks like my beautiful friend Elizabeth, especially with her hair short now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment