Saturday, August 1, 2009

Salwar, Churidar, Anarkali and Kameez

New vocab!
I've come to realize that I LOVE Punjabi/Northern Indian fashion. Of course I'm in love with saris, but how comfy are salwars? I want some!
Ok, salwar (left pants), churidar (middle pants), anarkali (right top) and kameez (two left tops). The more loosely fitting top men wear are kurtas (men's gorgeous Indian wear will have to wait).
I've fallen in love w/ these of course as I've watched my Bollywood movies. Kajol wears numerous yellow salwar kameezes in her roles, most memorably as Anjali in K3G , but also in Fanaa. Bride and Prejudice and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, set in Amritsar, Punjab, sport some fantastic ensembles of the same type. Anushka Sharma from RNBDJ wears a black and silver churidar anarkali in an extras interview. Of course I want to make all of these.
It's interesting to note that these fashions have been around for centuries; and you thought your skinny jeans and pants under dresses were original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salwar_kameez
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churidar
I'm not ashamed of mild wikipedia usage. It's good for general knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment