Thursday, August 6, 2009

Historical Survey

When I was a kid I thought that the 1860s was the end all be all of historical fashion b/c Gone With The Wind made a HUGE impression on me when I saw it at 5. As my historical tastes have matured I've gotten pretty bored with this era. Don't get me wrong, it's still fabulous, but there are so many other FANTASTIC time periods and fashions that get either overlooked or overshadowed by giant steel crinolines.
And now, courtesy of The Met's Costume Institute (http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/department.asp?dep=8&vW=1) are just a few knock outs.

House of Dior 1998

Callot Soeurs 1910-14: Dress 1935, American

Dress 1884-6, American or European: Robe à l'Anglaise, 1785–1787 French
Paul Poiret 1919. I've had my eye on this for years, a project for later days.

2 comments:

  1. Why you gotta steal stuff from my closet? I'm getting a little sick of this, Shelbs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think jeans and t-shirts are uncomfortable sometimes. Geez.

    ReplyDelete