Monday, November 26, 2012

Avatar: The Last Air Bender

Apparently everyone and their mom loves this show. Friend Martha has tried to get me into it for years, and I have vague memories of my ex and my brother talking about the final episode back in 2008. So, what got me to watch it? I traded Avatar for Doctor Who with a friend (who has yet to start Doctor Who...), and it's wonderful! Avatar's great because the story's super compelling, the values are wonderful, the characters are charming and the dialogue can't be beat (My first girlfriend turned into the Moon...That's rough buddy).

So, in case you're in the like 3% of people that don't now what this show is:
Katara and Sokka live in a world where the four elements can be bent/controlled by members of the four respective nations. Long ago the nations live in peace, THEN everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. The Avatar can control all four elements, but he disappeared 100 years ago. In the first episode Katara and Sokka find Aang, the last air bender and current Avatar in an iceberg with his flying bison Appa. Later a lemur bat named Momo comes along for the ride.

Katara, Sokka, and Aang travel the world so Aang can master the other elements; water, fire, and earth. Katara is a water bender. Prince Zuko is the banished prince of the Fire Nation and believes capturing the Avatar will restore his honor. He is accompanied by his uncle, Iroh. It's all super great. You should watch it. It's on Netflix. It's funny, it's action-packed, it's heartwarming, and it's twisty and turny. There are 3 seasons, or books, one for each element Aang has to master.

I've watched so much of it lately when I flung my blanket on my bed the other day in my brain I was like "yeah! airbend!!!"

Meanwhile, I might have to do a Doctor Who primer to drum up some interest...

1 comment:

  1. Watch the Legend of Korra! It's different enough that it's not 'Avatar, Part II', but it still really respects the old show.

    ReplyDelete