Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Nutcracker

No matter how old I get I always dream of being a ballerina and by accident I end up watching The Nutcracker on PBS almost every holiday season. I couldn't really tell you which ones I've seen besides Nutcracker: The Motion Picture and The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center that was on PBS tonight, choreography by Balanchine. The Balanchine was beautiful and over the top and the costumes were magnificent, but the story was off. In this version Clara is Marie and she's 10, as is the Nutcracker. They were rather great as children go, but they stayed children. I like Clara to magically mature and dance with the Prince in the magical kingdom or where ever. As it was, the pas de deux was with the Sugarplum Fairy and her Caravel and was very very good with Megan Fairchild as the Sugarplum Fairy.
The flowers have THE MOST amazing skirts. In this photo Megan Fairchild is the Dewdrop Fairy.

I've been told I should watch the San Francisco Ballet Nutcracker and after looking it up I might have seen some of it, again, I'm not sure which Nutcrackers I've seen, but 'tis the season!
San Francisco, concept: 1915 World's Fair

New York Ballet

San Francisco Ballet, this looks familiar

how amazing is this?! Totally Ballet Russe pants, and sparkles!
San Francisco, how beautiful is this?
This is the San Francisco Pas de Deux, I prefer the Balanchine (below).

This Friday the SF Ballet's Little Mermaid is on Great Performances on PBS.

1 comment: