Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bramwell

I've been sick for the past couple of days so I've been watching the mid-nineties British drama Bramwell. Set in 1895 and starring Jemma Redgrave, Bramwell follows Eleanor Bramwell, woman doctor. She starts a hospital for the poor and trials ensue. I really like it. The costumes are phenomenal as are the hair and make up. Bramwell of course faces the challenges of being a woman doctor and a doctor in general. Every illness and situation is a new learning experience for Dr. Bramwell and she doesn't always make the correct decisions. It's on Netflix instant play and I'd highly recommend it.
source
NOW, here's an issue I have with series or movies like this i.e. ones with strong, driven female leads (Bramwell, Lark Rise to Candleford, Cranford, Anne of Green Gables, My Brilliant Career). What's with these women going through men like water? The best and hunkiest of men always fawn all over these outspoken and beautiful women only to be rejected for usually one of two reasons: the woman doesn't love them (fine by me) or they could never imagine giving up their career which is oh so dear to them for a man. In more than one of these cases the guy promises they can have their career still, some even share the profession. I just get so mad! I think this emotion is heightened when one watches a series straight through so the men only last a couple hours at most. I do understand that yes a woman's life will change if she has a child, especially back then, but wouldn't that just be another challenge for such a supposedly gifted woman? I just get frustrated that these fictitious women are so careless with love. I get even madder when they're engaged and call it off. How cruel. Of course this is all pretend and I wouldn't keep watching if there wasn't hope for another fellow, but by golly it makes me so mad. Rant over.

2 comments:

  1. My Brilliant Career. Uggh!! I hate that movie and I had to watch it once when I took 102 and twice when I TA'd it. Do not get me started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I guess I'm on the fence about Career and Man. I want both and the baby, but I guess I figure I'm good enough to handle all of it (and I'm going to assume my man will be splitting the household/childcare duties with me) and...well, it'll work itself out.

    Haven't seen Bramwell. What else did you recommend to me? French?

    ReplyDelete