Saturday, January 7, 2012

Les Mis film casting

Thanks to friend Shannon for bringing this article to my attention that announces the addition of Taylor Swift to the Les Miserables cast in the 2012 film. Quick review of the cast...

Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Russell Crowe as Inspector Javert
Anne Hathaway as Fantine
Amanda Seyfried as Cosette
Helena Bonham-Carter as Madame Thenardier
Eddie Redmayne as Marius
Sacha Baron Cohen rumored as Thenardier
Aaron Tveit as Enjolras
Jackman as Curly in Oklahoma!
And now Taylor Swift as Eponine. First this makes Eponine and Marius nearly the same height as Redmayne is average and Swift is tall. I've been excited for this project all along considering I'm a huge Russell Crowe fan and love Hugh Jackman nearly as much. Jackman of course is a tour de force Broadway triple threat with many great musicals under his belt. One need only to harken back to the Oscars he hosted to recall his bad-a ness on stage. Anne Hathaway's Oscar hosting also showed her musical prowess. The more I think of it however other cast members might leave something to be desired. Crowe has his own band and has a nice voice that leans toward country, but does he have chops? Dunno. How will "Red and Black" be with Tveit as Enjolras? He's played Fiyro in Wicked, and has also been in Rent and Next to Normal. Will I be devastated when he's sprawled dead on the barricade? I'd better be. One need only to remember Mama Mia to imagine how Seyfried will do as Cosette. I'm just getting much less certain about this film. Remember Nick Jonas as Marius in the 25th Anniversary cast? He stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the classically trained. I'm afraid this might be the case for the film putting Jackman and Tveit against Swift and Seyfried. Les Mis is just such a bear of a score. I'm praying the musical director is great.

The excitement for the musical Les Mis to be put on film is I think that it will be equivalent to seeing it in New York or London for those who can't make that ticket. I'm getting more certain as I look at this casting that while the acting will be phenomenal or passable the singing looks to be a mixed bag between musical theatre singers, pop singers and other--not the Broadway or Westend performance I think people will expect.We'll see! We've got Les Mis and My Fair Lady to look forward to!

Russell Crowe sings

Aaron Tveit as Fiyro

Anne Hathaway

Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway

1 comment:

  1. Anne Hathaway as Eponine would be so much better.

    ReplyDelete