Tuesday, January 10, 2012

1830s corset

I rewatched Wives and Daughters right before the final semester of my undergrad so the 1830s informed most of what I did for those four months. I've already posted about the 1830s wig I styled for my hair and make up final. I trimmed the wig to match the 1830s corset I made for my corsetry class that semester. I certainly learned a lot, but I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt. The 1830s is a good starting point for a corset bc if pressed I can use it from 1800 to the early 1840s.
Kyoto Costume Institute corset

Using research from the Met, V&A and Kyoto Costume institute, and Doyle's Waisted Efforts, Waugh's Corsets and Crinolines, and Salen's Corsets I draped the corset on a size 8 form which was a little big for me. Against my better judgement we fit it like a bodice rather than a corset, and even though I took quite a bit out the back still ended up meeting instead of having a 2" gap. I guess this is alright because I'm the smallest I'll ever be, but I would have preferred a little more cinching w/ the shaping the corset gave me. I fit it while wearing a bra bc if I hadn't I wouldn't have even needed bust gussets! I have plans to sew in bust pads so it can be worn alone, but have yet to do so. I also tell myself I'll remake the straps someday so they're longer since the ones I made are entirely too short, but I'm pretty sure none of this will ever happen.
embroidery inspiration

I embroidered the bust gussets and the CF over the busk in blue. I had a heck of a time at Home Depot getting the right piece of wood for the busk, and then at the scene shop getting them to cut it in half depth-wise and then sanding it to round of the edges and to make it thinner. I can't for the life of me find the pictures I took of the busk, but of course I put my name on it all pretty with the date seeing as I had no lover to do it for me. Someday I hope to make a white and blue 1830s summer ensemble. I think white and blue are so romantic.

9 pattern pieces in the coutil, 7 in the fashion fabric (hip gussets only in the coutil)

some bumps and wrinkles, but not a bad fit overall
the busk forces the tummy in nicely, but it makes it very hard to drive.
not laced entirely right, but it works

looks like the museum corsets!
I didn't make the chemise, I did make the petticoat, but that's for another entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment