Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mark Strong: Everbody's Villain

My introduction to Mark Strong was as Mr. Knightly in the Kate Beckinsale Emma. Yes his hair was too wispy and their kiss is on my list of most awkward, but I thought his Knightly characterization was spot on and while Jeremy Northam of course is so dreamy Mark Strong held the position of Most Knightly-y (now taken by Johnny Lee Miller).
tallest and broadest Knightly
And then BAM, villain time! Tall, broad, handsome, and naturally bald, Strong could work a wig or go au naturale. Rather dashing either way.
Toby Crackit in Oliver Twist*
Septimus in Star Dust
Nick in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Archy in RocknRolla*
Bouhler (a Nazi) in Good (with Viggo Mortensen)*
Sir John Conroy in The Young Victoria
Lord Blackwood in Sherlock Holmes
Franco D'Amico in Kick-Ass*
Godfrey in Robin Hood
Sinestro in Green Lantern*
Matai Shang in John Carter*

 *denotes I haven't seen film
List is by no means extensive, I did my best with what I could find on Wikipedia for films I haven't seen.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for mentioning his role in Emma - so overplaced by the "great Hollywood movies" that this is the only blog I could have found any information about it :)

    ReplyDelete